Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Worth the trip.....




Yesterday, I took a road trip down 95S to Baltimore, Maryland for a business lunch with a good friend. It was suggested we go to the Cross Street Market, which is near the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards, the home of the Orioles.


Upon entering the narrow but very long building, we decided to walk the entire length of the structure to see what this was all about. What we found was a cornucopia of eateries and shops sure to please anyone's palate.


First stop was the fresh fish market, where I was given a tutorial on preparing a large rockfish, a species I had never heard of before. I was told its a "chunky" not flaky fish, and best prepared with olive oil and thinly sliced potatoes in the oven for about 45 minutes. I touched the flesh of the fish which was firm...indicating its immediate exit from the Baltimore Harbor or parts nearby.


The restaurants were plentiful and diverse. Woks were sizzling with szechuan delights, pretzel dogs were popped out of the oven with a toasty brown deliciousness, and crab wraps were being bought and sold at a feverish clip.

We decided on seafood, so we sat on a stool with an old oak barrel as our table in the middle of a triangle of saltwater cafes and began our eating adventure.


I ordered a bottle of Miller Lite from the attendant, and he looked at me quizzically. "You sure you want a bottle?", he said. "Yes", I replied. And he preceded to bring me a huge container of beer, much more than the 12 oz. I was expecting. I guess it takes a lot of lager to wash down the local delicacies.


First on the food train was a half pound of steamed shrimp and crab fries. The shrimp came out piping hot with remnants of onions amidst the shells to add to the flavor. They were chubby and quite delicious. The fries dusted with Old Bay seasoning were a basket of crunchy spuds with a spicy kick.


Second were the dozen Blue Point oysters, freshly shucked by an old hand that deftly removed the top shell with a knife sharp enough slice off Van Gogh's ear in a blink. A little squeeze of lemon and a drop of horseradish and hot sauce made these plump pearls slide down ever so good.


Finally, it was time for some FRESH sushi..and i mean fresh. I'm fairly sure these pieces of yellow tail, salmon, and eel swam to the kitchen a minute before we ordered. The pickled ginger was crunchy fresh, and the wasabi had a unique kick that topped it all off.


There was no room for dessert, so we ended our 2 1/2 hour eating adventure with a short walk back to the parking garage where I expected to get hammered with a hefty mid day parking fee. I was astonished when the meter asked me for $5! At that point I started looking around for a real estate brochure.


I couldn't root for the Ravens or Orioles....but I sure could get comfy cozy with a few more trips to the Cross Street Market in Baltimore.

1 comment:

  1. We in Baltimore love our Orioles (most of the time) We love our Ravens (all the time) And the food in Baltimore is loved by all. Seafood at it's finest.

    ReplyDelete