Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tribute to Coach Jim Erkenbeck

JIM ERKENBECK, IRV EATMAN, CHUCK COMMISKEY



He was direct from central casting in Hollywood.


A gravel voiced, scotch drinking , chain smoking ex-marine, he could have gotten studio credentials and passed for Lee Marvin's kid brother.


Jim Erkenbeck, a football lifer who was the offensive line coach and offensive coordinator for the 2 time USFL Champion Philadelphia Stars, died Tuesday night at the age of 81.


As an "o" line coach, he was prototypical. Cut out of material that was more sandpaper than chamois, he had a outwardly gruff exterior as one might expect from a cancer surviving, Korean War veteran who chose to make his post war bones coaxing men the size of semi tractor trailers to flatten their opposition. "Wrong answer!" he would shout from his perch in the film room in a tone any DI would be proud of as he answered a players response as to why they missed an assignment, or dare let an opponent touch our QB Chuck Fusina, who he referred to as his "bread and butter".


But those who got to know him knew of the love he had for his players, and the respect he had for what the were trying to accomplish. Jim Erkenbeck was leading his troops to war on the football field, and he knew all too well what that entailed.


Erk's battalion with the Stars included Bart Oates, Irv Eatman, Chuck Commiskey, George Gilbert, Joe Conwell, Joe Happe, Bill Duggan, Mike McClearn, Ron Coder, Brad Oates, Rich Garza, and Scott Burris among others. As protective of them as a mother to her cubs, he could ream them out unmercifully, but it was his domain and responsibility to do so, no one else's. And everybody affiliated with the team knew it.


His coaching tour of duty had NFL stops in New Orleans, Dallas, Los Angeles, Kansas City and Oakland. But when I asked him several years ago whom his favorite team was, his response was as pointed and direct as if he was obeying a direct order. "The Stars, Dunes" (my nickname with the team) he said, "and it isn't even close"


So I salute my fallen commander one last time, and thank him for helping me become a champion. If I had twenty-one guns I'd fire them all in a final successive show of respect. And blow taps on a mournful bugle at sunset.


I'm sure Lee Marvin would have expected a similar send off.






10 comments:

  1. Jim's death brings tears to my eyes but you have beautifully captured the essence of the man. No one who spoke with him for five minutes will ever forget him; he will be missed by many. Thank you for this tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was married to Erk, but I could never have expressed the spirit of Jim Erkenbeck as perfectly as you have. Erk hasn't been a part of our family's life for 25 years, and yet he often comes up in conversation. He is, quite simply, an unforgettable man. I'm so grateful to you for taking time to share your memories of Erk. Don't stop writing; you have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah and Valerie- I am so touched by your comments, just as my life was blessed to have been touched by Jim.

    Thank you......Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erk was my defensive line coach at Utah State in 1967. He was like having Lee Marvin as your coach. He was very cool. Thanks for reminding me.

    Ron Labrum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfully said. Coach recruited me to play for U.C. Berkeley (Cal Bears) from high school, as a punter where I played under him from 1974-77'. Your article really captured this tough on the outside - but truly caring and loving on the inside - man. So many of us who have known this incredible man - owe him so much. I know I do. The world will miss him. Greg Cummins

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs Erkenbeck,

    Per our phone conversation, our family would like to extend our deepest sympathy. Coach Erkenbeck was my friend and believed in me and my son !
    I will always truly love him. I know I got on his nerves at times but he never ever let me know it....:) He would receive me graciously every time we met or spoke on the phone..I'm truly honored to have known him personally for the last couple of years and I could only imagine the joy to have known him for a life time.. Your family is very Blessed.!!!!!


    Earth has no sorrow that
    Heaven cannot heal !

    Sincerely in Christ,
    Billy Yancy and Family

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was lucky to have been coached by Erk while playing for the Chiefs. In fact, I finished my football career under his watch. Some of my fondest memories as a player will center around coach. In a cut throat business centered around winning, Erk constantley reminded me "football is a game, enjoy it." While everyone around was breaking under the pressure, Erk always had that guilty grin. Like he new something everyone else did not. He made football fun. Coach Erk was a true pro!

    Ted Popson and family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad to learn of Coach Erk's passing. Remembering me as a Stanford opponent during his years at Cal, he recommended the Montreal Alouettes sign me at a free agent camp in 1978, and opened the door for my brief career in both the CFL and NFL. My deepest sympathies and condolences to all of those whose lives were touched by this extraordinary character, and man...
    John Olenchalk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I played for Jim as an O-guard on the 1975 Pac-8 co-championship team at Cal Berkeley. I will forever thank God for naming one of the major chisels of my character..."Erk".

    Ned Vessey

    ReplyDelete